I enjoy watching documentaries. I especially like the ones
that deal with how things are made or how things work. Recently, I have been Netflixing a series titled "How Stuff Works." Just like most scientific
programming you have to take parts of it with a grain of salt. They were doing
a really good job on the series and I was learning a lot of really cool stuff.
Then it got to season 2 episode 8. The only thing I can figure is that it got a
completely different producer and writer. The whole feel of the show changed.
They even changed the way the shows where named. Every episode up until this
point was a one word title like: corn, salt, rubber, water etc.
The title of season 2 episode 8 was "How Summer Changed
the World." It was a collection of world changing events that has some
lose connection or another that was affected by the fact that there are
seasons. The one that really caught my attention was the segment on how summer
allowed life and specifically a large amount of different life (biodiversity)
to live on planet earth.
I just sat there and watch and wondered "are you really
listening to yourself, do you really understand how mind boggling impossible
the things that you are attributing to chance are?" The authors of the
show were very willing to see the uniqueness of all the conditions required for
the earth to sustain life but not give credit to the creator and sustainer of
that life. Watching this vividly punctuated Paul's words in Romans 1:20;
From the creation of the world His invisible
attributes, that is, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly
seen, being understood through what He has made. As a result, people are
without excuse.
A couple of years ago a new mechanic started working at my
current place of employment. We got to know each other. He knew that I had gone
to Georgia Tech and that I was also a minister. One day he came to me and we
were talking and he asked me, "Jacob, how in the world can a man with
all of your education believe in God?"
My short answer to him was, "How can I not. Nothing I
have been taught precludes the existence of God. On the contrary, it generally
points to the necessity of God."
Just a few Unique things about God's creation that are
necessary for life that where brought out in the television show:
1. The tilt of the Earth.
2. The moon and its effect on the Earth.
3. The exact distance the Earth is from the Sun.
4. The delicate balance of minerals, elements, and
compounds. Not the least of which is water.
5. The size of the Earth.
6. The strength of the force of gravity (actual all of the
different forces; magnetic, strong, weak, etc. Any of which if they were the
minutest bit different the universe let alone our world would not exist.)
The statistics are astounding...
I have to stop myself here. I could go on and on about probabilities
and statics and drowned the whole message of this article in numbers but I will
refrain.
The point I want to make is that God is AMAZING and he has
made this wonderfully Unique creation specifically and unique for mankind
so that His Love and Grace can be shown.
I will end with a quote from one of my Facebook friends. He
didn't attribute an author to it so I am not exactly sure where it came from
but I think it is a great reminder that everything in creation is unique and one-of-a-kind.
"God Is a Hand-Crafter, not a mass-producer"


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.